For many years, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda medicine have been prescribing Turmeric as a medicinal spice. As we see the rise of many diseases and inflammation illnesses, this magical spice has become more important than before.
Turmeric is a powerful herb for helping fight diseases and reduce inflammation in the body. Turmeric comes from the Curcuma longa plant and is commonly grown in India and Southeast Asia. This bright yellow spice contains the active ingredient Curcumin, which provides many health benefits and healing powers. Most commonly you will see it used in Indian curries, grated into meals and more recently brewed into turmeric or golden lattes.
So why is this beautiful, golden spice so powerful? Here are a few of the key benefits we can receive from food doses of turmeric.
1. Powerful antioxidant – Curcumin (active ingredient) can neutralize free radicals and also boosts the activity of the body’s own antioxidant enzymes. Therefore, giving it a double action effect.
2. Natural anti-inflammatory effects – A small amount of inflammation is essential for helping keep the body alive, however long-term inflammation can become a problem and contribute to a list of chronic diseases. Curcumin helps the body to fight foreign invaders and fight inflammation at the molecular level. The powerful spice has been shown to match the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory drugs (but without the side effects) and also repair any damage done.
3. Improved brain function and reduce risk of Alzheimer’s – many diseases have been linked to the reduction in levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BNDF) which is a grown hormone that functions in the brain. Curcumin can increase brain levels of BNDF which helps reduce degenerative brain diseases as well as improve memory and help make you smarter. Win win!
4. Reduce risk of heart disease – studies have shown that curcumin can lead to improvements in endothelial function which is important in regulating blood pressure and blood clotting in the heart. Along with a reduction in inflammation and an antioxidant, this trio is a big one for reducing the #1 cause of death in the world.
5. An effective anti-depressant – As mentioned above, curcumin increases the amounts of BNDF in the brain and has been shown to be as effective as Prozac in alleviating symptoms of depression.
Check out our Turmeric Products.
Want to find out more or ask a question? Click Here to get in touch with Chrissy.